Personal Best are headlining our show this weekend at Amersham Arms, awesomely supported by The Ethical Debating Society, Dream Nails and Best Praxis! We can't wait! To get to know them a bit better in the meantime, we asked them 10 questions ...
1. Who would you most like to cover one of your songs?
St. Vincent could do a great job of ‘This Is What We Look Like’ I reckon. Get some cool beeps and beats on there. Make it a club banger.
2. If you could add one member to your band – any person, living or dead, musical or otherwise – who would it be, and what would they play?
I wanna say a sick guitarist like Mary Timony but then I’d feel really inadequate. I’ve toyed with the idea of getting a pianist or keyboardist so I’m gonna say Carole King. She also seems really nice and I reckon she wouldn’t hog the hummus.
3. If your music could have a superpower, what would it be?
Turning homophobes into goldfish.
4. What’s best: playing a big venue full of strangers, or a small pub full of friends?
Big venue! We are a stadium rock band at heart haha.
5. Recommend a record and a book that you think our readers might not have heard of.
Record – Any Other City by Life Without Buildings, which continues to blow my mind. It’s not mega obscure but they did one album then split up in the early 2000s and it’s perfect. I kind of admire them doing that just as they were getting loads of cult attention. Book – Near to The Wild Heart by Clarice Lispector. It plays with perceptions of time and perspective and explores amorality and disruptive childhoods.
6. One for the guitarists … bore us with the details of your set-up please.
My guitar is a 2015 Gibson Firebird (that model has an extra millimetre width on the fretboard). I love how extra this guitar is, it’s very silly and over the top. Amp – Cornford Roadhouse 30. The company doesn’t exist any more but you can still find the amps around occasionally. Best amp I know for the money. Cost me £380 and it’s amazing. Cab – a Zilla oversized 112 with Neodymium lightweight speakers. They make custom cabs with a bunch of cool options. I picked it up second hand a while ago. Pedals – Way Huge (Jim Dunlop range) Swollen Pickle fuzz, Way Huge Angry Troll linear amp boost, Boss RV-2 Japan reverb.
7. What’s the best thing about being in your band?
When I bring a song to practise and everyone does their thing over it and makes it sound a million times more exciting.
8. What are your band goals?
For this year, release album two, tour in the US which we haven’t done yet. Just get next level. World domination.
9. What’s the most important thing we need to know about your band right now?
That we’re writing a really sick album.
10. Give your top 5 contemporary bands
St. Vincent, Doe, Nervus, El Morgan and the Divers, Colour Me Wednesday. Why? Cos they’re all amazing obviously.