Making a welcome return to a LOUD WOMEN stage this weekend, the awesome Feral Five will spoiling us with the bonus launch of their funktastic new single, ‘Shake It’ – come and do exactly that with us and them on Saturday 11 May at the Hope & Anchor (along with Miss Eaves, TV Face and I, Doris). In the meantime, here’s their 10 question interview …
1. Who would you most like to cover one of your songs?
Lizzo – we’re imagining the flute solo already!, or Kylie Minogue with Nick Cave (we covered one of hers and took it to the dark side). St Vincent would produce an amazing avant-pop thing with our stuff!
2. If you could add one member to your band – any person, living or dead, musical or otherwise – who would it be, and what would they play?
Daphne Oram on whatever new machine she’d just invented
3. What was the last song you wrote, where were you when you came up with the idea, what inspired it, and how did it turn out?
‘Ego’. It started with a crazy sample Kat made hiding in the bathroom at Xmas with her new mini synth, and grew in a fit of fury after a run in with an egotistical music biz monster. We jammed it up in a rehearsal studio, it came out disco-sexy good, and it’s going to be our next single!
4. Which was your favourite gig you’ve a) played and b) watched?
a) Shuffle Festival, founded by Danny Boyle – on a platform up in the trees in a gloriously gothic graveyard park. Kat jumped so hard the floorboards started coming apart, and we played an electro-punk cover of Japan’s ‘Ghosts’ that went down a storm.
b) Tough call, but Sleaford Mods, Savages and The Pop Group playing on a truck on the same night at Dismaland is right up there.
c) If there was a category for both on the same day – then Cro Cro Land festival for sure!
5. Recommend a record that you think our readers might not have heard of
Gazelle Twin’s Pastoral album – eviscerating, political, and electronic. Punk spirit without being punk rock.
6. What’s your best piece of advice for young musicians?
Be brilliant. Be yourself. Experiment.
7. Your top 3 most beloved albums ever – go.
Dream Wife – Dream Wife
Cocteau Twins – Heaven Or Las Vegas
Future Sound Of London – Lifeforms
8. What are your musical goals?
To make people think while they dance in another dimension
9. What’s the most important thing we need to know about your band right now?
We’re launching new single ‘Shake It’ at the 11th May Loud Women show, you’ve summed it up pretty nicely as a “floor-filling guitar-sexy banger”, and John Kennedy’s been giving it a few spins on Radio X! And we’re working on our debut album.
10. Give your top 5 contemporary bands/musicians
deux furieuses – visceral music, incredible musicians, their new tunes are next level
Ms Mohammed – brilliant Island punk, gets us moving every time
Liines – we first saw them at Loud Women Fest and were blown away
Bugeye – disco-punk with Abba-esque feel good factor, we’re down the front always
Bishi – cosmic genius from another universe