We fell head over heels in love with French Newcastle duo The Noise and the Naive when they first played a LOUD WOMEN gig in Autumn 2017, so we’re dead chuffed they’re playing for us again this week on Wednesday 24 April at the Hope & Anchor. To get to know this awesome twosome a bit better, we asked them 10 questions …
- Who would you most like to cover one of your songs?
The Red Army Choir would be interesting
2. If you could add one member to your band – any person, living or dead, musical or otherwise – who would it be, and what would they play?
It would be a Kukeri – a creature covered in wild goat hair who scares away evil spirits in Bulgarian pagan rituals. They would play the Bass with their paws. If only it was true, it would be awesome.
3. What was the last song you wrote, where were you when you came up with the idea, what inspired it, and how did it turn out?
I just wrote a song with a f*cked-up time signature because it was funny with the title of the song “My Feelings Are Complicated”. I played it to Anne, she hated it, the song is dead. It would have made us so famous.
4. Which was your favourite gig you’ve a) played and b) watched?
We played last week an acoustic showcase for Record Store Day, and it was so interesting to have to re-think our music with no drums / fuzz / screams.
It was a short set.
5. Recommend a record that you think our readers might not have heard of.
If you have not listened yet to “A Simple Guide to Small and Medium Pond Life” from the band Pet Crow, it will make you ecstatically dance. It’s groovy garage/punk, with a singular nostalgic voice floating like a sonic drone. It makes me feel smart and sexy, and nobody will ever break my heart.
6. What’s your best piece of advice for young musicians?
Follow our path, wait till you’re in your 40s
7. Your top 3 most beloved albums ever – go.
We listen exclusively to bands whose name start with a P
Pixies – Surfer Rosa
PJ Harvey – Dry
Pavement – Slanted & Enchanted
8. What are your musical goals?
We’re simply trying to be good and enjoy everything we do with the band, else why bother?
9. What’s the most important thing we need to know about your band right now?
We hand screenprint all our merch, including boxers and briefs : “Keep your old chaps snug with The Noise & The Naive”.
10. Give your top 5 contemporary bands/musicians.