London indie-foursome Silva are coming to play for us this Saturday, 12 May at the Hope & Anchor – along with Belle Scar and Stef Fi. We asked them 10 questions ...
1. Who would you most like to cover one of your songs?
We’re big fans of Radiohead so would be interested to see how they would cover one of our tracks, maybe make them eerier and more electronic.
2. If you could add one member to your band – any person, living or dead, musical or otherwise – who would it be, and what would they play?
Ellie Roswell (Wolf Alice) or Shirley Manson (Garbage)
3. What was the last song you wrote, where were you when you came up with the idea, what inspired it, and how did it turn out?
Our newest track which we have been playing at recent gigs called ‘Breathe In’ – it’s about the tug and pull in a relationship and feeling like you’re constantly walking on eggshells.
4. Which was your favourite gig you’ve a) played and b) watched?
Our favourite gig we’ve played so far was at the Roundhouse Sackler Space for the Rising Sounds Album launch in March. Our track ‘Like a Doll’ is featured on the compilation album of Roundhouse Rising Sounds acts of 2018. The atmosphere was great with the smoke machines and moody lighting, and the crowd was fun they were grooving along with us which was great to see.
Favourite gigs we’ve seen –
Kerstin (Bassist) – Acid Mother Temple
Esther (Guitarist) – Paramore (first gig)
Sylvia (Synth player and lead vocalist) – Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Shakira (Drummer) – Warpaint
5. Recommend a record and a book that you think our readers might not have heard of
Both albums by Khruangbin, ‘The Universe Smiles Upon You’ and their recent release ‘Con Todo El Mundo’ – chilled summery psychedelic vibe. Book: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
6. What’s your best piece of advice for young musicians?
Practise, keep writing, have fun, be bold (and save up!).
7. Your top 3 most beloved albums ever – go.
Hmm too hard a question for all of us to agree on, but off the cuff between us we think Bloom by Beach House, Ok Computer or In Rainbows by Radiohead and Lemonade by Beyonce.
8. What are your musical goals?
We want to record our album asap and then tour tour tour.
9. What’s the most important thing we need to know about your band right now?
We’ve got gigs lined up from now til July in London so come and say hey! Looking to gig outside of London very soon. We’re constantly writing and playing new material. You can hear our track ‘Like a Doll’ on the Roundhouse Bandcamp or come dance to it live!
10. Give your top 5 contemporary bands/musicians
Wolf Alice – We love their first album but the evolution of their sound in the second is amazing, and they’re incredible live
Beach House – Consistently explosive
Mitski – fills a room herself
Grimes – inspiring that she does everything herself like self-produces, and love her sound
Beyonce – Beychella