Based in St Leonards just down the road from The Piper, Montague Armstrong were an obvious choice to invite to come play our LOUD WOMEN (on sea) Club night on Thursday on Thurs 3 Nov. Some of you may know Jude Montague from her show Resonance FM - The News Agents – but what about the music she makes as one half of this creative duo? Only one way to find out...
1. For people who’ve not heard you play live before, what can we expect from you at the LOUD WOMEN gig?
Vintage organs, weird sounds, expressive playing. We do it all ourselves in our strange studio on Kings Road, St Leonards-on-Sea, prints upstairs, music downstairs. Love Italian giallo music, Soviet era sounds, golden age Bollywood and making new music with old machines.
2. What’s the most important thing we need to know about your band right now?
Our new album ‘Modern Classics’ is coming out on Dimple Discs very soon – an LP and CD.
3. If you could add any musician (live or dead) to your band lineup, who would it be?
R D BURMAN on dholak . . . we totally need a drummer. Matt thinks Mick Avery from the Kinks would do a good job.
4. Pass the mic – who are your top 3 contemporary bands?
So many to like and love – but as we must, let’s shout out for
- Pettaluck – brilliant Emma Reed from Culture as a Dare – she’s very funny and very tuneful.
- Haymanot Tesfa – Amharic singer, krar player, improviser, genius – proud to call her a wonderful mate. Mellifluous and she’s very funny in person as well as charming.
- Mermaid Chunky – Gloucestershire’s finest band named after a yarn of wool. Audio-visual amazingness from the arts hub that is Stroud.
5. Draw us a picture.
Catch Montague Armstrong on Thurs 3 Nov at The Piper! Tickets on sale here.
More about Montague Armstrong here bandcamp