Izzy Thomas headlines a beautifully varied LOUD WOMEN gig this Saturday at the Hope & Anchor. We asked her 10 questions.
1.For people who’ve not heard you play live before, what can we expect from you at the LOUD WOMEN gig?
Big vocals, big hair, big guitar riffs.
2. Which is your favourite song to play and why?
It would have to be “Trouble (Pull That Trigger)”. It’s been my debut single, and has always been so fun to play as it has a chant that the audience can sing back. It’s a beautiful moment when an audience sings back lyrics you wrote in a bedroom!
3. Do some super-lazy journalism on our behalf please, and fill in the blanks:
“Our sound is like the lovechild of Christina Aguilera and Lenny Kravitz with a bit on the side from PJ Harvey”
4. What’s your proudest musical moment to date?
I just performed at Leeds Pride last Sunday. It was on the main stage in front of thousands of people. It was such a beautiful moment to be at one with a sea of people to support the LGBT community and celebrate diversity.
5. Recommend a record and a book that you think our readers might not have heard of.
The Power Of Habit. Brilliant book, you learn a lot about not only the human memory and how different sectors of the brain work, but also the philosophy behind why we do what we do, and how we create/can change habits.
7. What are the best/worst things about being in your band?
The amount of organizing, and admin! The admin part is so dull and time consuming.
8. What are your band goals?
More co-writes, continue releasing singles, release an EP before the end of this year, then eventually a headline tour with an album.
9. What’s the most important thing we need to know about your band right now?
I’m releasing my next single “MAD” early Sept!! I’m planning such a bad ass music video, people need to continue coming to shows and supporting so I can continue releasing!
10. Pass the mic – who are your top 5 contemporary bands.
Finding Kate, Helen Hurd, Rival Karma, KilliT, Gareth Esson, Dead Writers. I know it’s 6, but they’re all incredibly talented artists/bands who are unsigned, but are making serious waves on the scene right now. They deserve credit.
Catch Izzy Thomas at LOUD WOMEN Club this Saturday 10 August at the Hope & Anchor