The Noise & the Naive are a brand new “power pop duo” from Newcastle, joining us on 29 September at The Unicorn in Camden. We’re really excited about getting to know Anne and Pauline better, so we sent them 10 questions!
1. Who would you most like to cover your songs?
Anne & Pauline: Duchess Says
2. Choose: Cat or dog?
Anne & Pauline: cats are baddest
3. Choose one of your songs to be played on Strictly Come Dancing. What dance would you like to be performed to it?
Anne & Pauline: Glitter Green: a muscle show // Vintage Mechanical: a waltz that would go wrong
4. Choose: Pixies or Breeders?
Anne & Pauline: The Breeders, because of Kelley Deal’s outfit in Safari.
Pauline: Hyperbole and a Half, a graphic novel that manages to make depression funny.
6. Bikini Kill or Fugazi?
Anne: Bikini Kill, one of the best band names ever. Also realising with this question that I should listen to Fugazi more!
7. What’s the most difficult thing about being in your band?
Pauline: settling who’s the Noise and who’s the Naive
8. What are your band goals?
Anne: to be like Shonen Knife – keep playing music until we’re 82!
9. What’s the most important thing we need to know about your band right now?
Anne: I am the Noise
10. Give your top 5 contemporary bands
– Melt Banana – they come from the future
– Deap Vally – loving how their sound fills the space
– Otobokebeaver – because of this:
– Grand Blanc – a cold and dark look back at the French eighties
– Angel Olsen – a music you can listen to with your mum