Last night (11 May) at the Hope & Anchor was a splendid reminder why LOUD WOMEN gigs are so vital. Four very awesome woman-powered bands from up and down the country, and across the Atlantic (Miss Eaves, TV Face, Feral Five and I, Doris) ; a fun raffle full of awesome prizes (original Bikini Kill poster! records! golden pineapple ornament!); filming for Gaptooth‘s new music video (Post-Patriarchy Disco!); plus the friendliest, most up-for-a-good time crowd you could wish to hang out with on a Saturday night. More of this sort of thing please!
Miss Eaves, TV Face, Feral Five, I, Doris, The Noise and the Naive, BbyMutha, The Shangri-Las, Rico Nasty, Argonaut, Billie Eilish, Janelle Monae, Kero Kero Bonito, GUTTFULL, Leikeli47, Le Tigre, Sisteray, Lizzo, Miss Red, Chaka Khan, SAULT, Ibibio Sound Machine, ILL, Party Fears, Sink Ya Teeth, Christine and the Queens, Neneh Cherry, Pom Poko, The Breeders, The Lovely Eggs, Velodrome, Pip Blom, GGAllan Partridge, Cid Rim, Tacocat, Mo-Dettes, X-ray Spex, The Slits, Missy Elliott, M.I.A., Ana Tijoux
Massive thanks to Abby/Doris Werth for the particularly choice selections ❤
New York’s Miss Eaves blew us all the way away when she last graced the UK’s shores and played a LOUD WOMEN gig … and she’s back this weekend coming, 11 May, to play our show at the Hope & Anchor, along with TV Face, Feral Five and I, Doris. Can. Not. Wait! In the meantime, we asked her 10 questions …
Who would you most like to cover one of your songs?
2. If you could add one member to your band – any person, living or dead, musical or otherwise – who would it be, and what would they play?
Grace Jones. We would dress up in matching costumes and strut around the stage together.
3. What was the last song you wrote, where were you when you came up with the idea, what inspired it, and how did it turn out?
I wrote a song about being broke, so instead of stacking cash I stack sandwiches (because I have a lot of bread!) I wrote it for a label to try and sync, so not even sure if it will ever be released but it is very funny.
4. Which was your favourite gig you’ve a) played and b) watched?
My favorite gig I played was in Leipzig last year. It was such a good vibes, inclusive feminist show. My favorite show I watched was the first time I saw guerilla toss.
5. Recommend a record that you think our readers might not have heard of.
Frankie Simone. When I heard her song War Paint I was blown away. She is def underrated.
6. What’s your best piece of advice for young musicians?
I would focus more on making cool music you like versus chasing numbers and stats. Also, don’t compare yourself to others. That is an easy way to feel bad about yourself.
7. Your top 3 most beloved albums ever – go. M.IA. – Arular Sia – We are Born MF Doom – MMMM Food
8. What are your musical goals?
To make funny relatable music!
9. What’s the most important thing we need to know about your band right now?