The 3rd episode of the LOUD WOMEN radio show on WRS is now available on Mixcloud for your listening pleasure! Featuring:
- live performance by Stef Fi / Stephanie Phillips
- preview of Decolonise Fest
- tracks played:
- Belle Scar – Escalade
- Ill – Space Dick
- Big Joanie – Baby Rust
- Silva – Like a Doll
- Ms Mohammed – ‘Written in Time’
Hosted by Cassie Fox, Abby Werth and Minja Smura!
Belle Scar is our headliner at the Hope & Anchor on 12 May and we can't wait to see her! We asked her our 10 questions ...
1. Who would you most like to cover one of your songs?
3. What was the last song you wrote, where were you when you came up with the idea, what inspired it, and how did it turn out?
It’s about good luck versus bad luck and the confusion of it all and how we have no control over certain things. Why do some people go through horrific things in their lives … Destiny, random luck, journeys, denial, fears… It’s still in the making. I guess It will be intense and emotional like most of my work.
4. Which was your favourite gig you’ve a) played and b) watched?
A – a venue in Kwidzyn, Poland was very memorable … but there’s so many.
B – I would definitely put Iggy Pop in my top and Diamande Galas too.
5. Recommend a record and a book that you think our readers might not have heard of.
A Coney Island of the Mind by Lawrence Ferlinghetty. It’s a great poetry book. It should be in your collection, and Silvia Plath’s Ariel too.
Yma Sumac‘s Mambo! Crazy vocals, exotic, intense and a totally unique voice from the 50s.
6. What’s your best piece of advice for young musicians?
Let it all out and practice the hell out of it!
7. Your top 3 most beloved albums ever – go.
There’s so many but these are a few I’m thinking of at the moment. Nick Drake’s Five Leaves Left, All of Nick Cave’s albums, Pink Floyd‘s Dark Side of the Moon, David Bowie The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars; Songs of Leonard Cohen,
oops I think that`s too many … But there’s so many and I did not even get into Jazz, Classical … Nina Simone, Ennio Morricone, Patti Smith …
8. What are your musical goals?
Always create new and interesting pieces and always get better as an artist and as a human being. Always staying true to myself.
9. What’s the most important thing we need to know about your band right now?
You absolutely must see Belle Scar live!